Photojournalistic, documentary, experimental, or expressive, photography in all of its forms can be used to inspire, inform, motivate, and otherwise provide the viewer with a distinct experience related to environmental issues. The PIONEER Olympiad photography encompasses a wide variety of artwork which uses the environment and all its many aspects, including human impacts on nature, which is a lot more realistic and more in accordance to what we see around us, as their subject.
Turning your lens toward a scene of decay, pollution and photographing it in a way that induces an emotional reaction in the viewer can probably do more to help protect the wilderness than a photograph of a pristine landscape will. By supporting the power of photographic storytelling, we motivate society to make positive change to raise awareness about endangered cultures, threatened environments and social concerns through photography.
The PIONEER Olympiad photography should (but not limited to) express the way natural systems respond and do not respond with the environmental issues, express a sense of frustration about the world we live in, express changes society made through construction, pollution and land-management policies, and express actions of moments within cities, human environment, and nature to raise awareness.
[ART&DESIGN] | Rules
- Application: Art projects (except Short Film) can be prepared and submitted by only one student. Short Film projects can be prepared and submitted by two students.
- Application: You will be required to submit your art work as part of the application process (submitted by uploading a document within the application system) and a one-page artist statement. All projects must submit their artwork.
- Application: Poster art, photography projects must submit their art work in JPEG format with a file size under 5 MB.
- Application: Short film projects have to upload their movie on YouTube with following title: “The Pioneer Olympiad 2017: Your own title text”. The YouTube link must be submitted during application process within MEDIA LINK.
- Application: All imagery must be your own work.
- Application: File names must be in English characters.
- Application: Short films should be 2-5 minutes in length, and animated, live action, or documentary in style. Short Films which are non-English must include English Subtitles.
- Application: Musical Performance projects can be prepared and submitted by maximum three students. Solo Performance and Singer projects can be prepared and submitted by only one students.
- Application: Music applications require an artist statement, the score, and the video of the performance.
- Application: A well-produced and well-rehearsed video of music performance (for all subcategories) must be uploaded into YouTube with the title: “The Pioneer Olympiad 2017: TITLE”. The YouTube link must be provided as part of the application within Media Link.
- Application: The musical performance artist statement should be less than 500 words and should describe the connection of the composition or the performance to the environment. The artist statement should be written in English and will be read to a live audience. The statement should be saved as a PDF or Word file with file name as follows: Country_projectname_statement. The statement must be uploaded to the application site.
- Application: Your music file names must be in English characters.
- At the Fair: Printed art work (for poster art, photography projects) must be 45×60 cm to be displayed at The PIONEER Olympiad. The PIONEER Olympiad will provide a black foam board of 55×70 cm for all artwork display.
- At the Fair: Short Film projects will be judged in a classroom on a large screen. You must bring your movie on a flash drive or CD. It is advised for you to bring your movie in multiple formats, such as Windows Media Player, Flv, or mp4.
- At the fair: Students are allowed to make changes and improve their projects between application and fair presentation.
- At the Fair: Read Finalist guide under rules for more information.
- At the Fair: You are highly encouraged to bring your instruments. The Pioneer will not be able to provide any instruments:
- At the Fair: The judging room will have technical capabilities to provide video and sound playback. The judging room will be open to public during judging process.
- At the Fair: You should come to the competition with pre-printed materials of your artist statement, scores, and a digital copy of your performance video.
[ART&DESIGN] | Judging Criteria
- Expression of Meaning
- Expression of Emotion
- Overall Expression