Pioneer Music heightens public concern for environmental problems and offers solutions by pulling at the auditory heartstrings through performance (as a performer). Pioneer Music allows the student artists to influence public at the level of the heart. From the time of Homer until the present day, musical creators have presented ideas to the public in new ways, reaching them in ways that no others could, and calling people to action.
Performances may be in any style, but must exhibit a high degree of performance acumen, rehearsal, care, and thought. All projects must include a tie-in to the environment.
Performers may use an already-written composition that was created with reference to the environment. You will read your Artist Statement prior to performance, which will allow the audience to understand why you chose this piece. Alternatively, a performer may use a composition that does not contain an overt reference to the environment. In this case, your Artist statement read to audience will help them discover how this piece relates to the environment for the artist.
[ART&DESIGN] | Rules
- Application: Art projects (except Short Film) can be prepared and submitted by only one student. Short Film projects can be prepared and submitted by two students.
- Application: You will be required to submit your art work as part of the application process (submitted by uploading a document within the application system) and a one-page artist statement. All projects must submit their artwork.
- Application: Poster art, photography projects must submit their art work in JPEG format with a file size under 5 MB.
- Application: Short film projects have to upload their movie on YouTube with following title: “The Pioneer Olympiad 2016: Your own title text”. The YouTube link must be submitted during application process within MEDIA LINK.
- Application: All imagery must be your own work.
- Application: File names must be in English characters.
- Application: Short films should be 2-5 minutes in length, and animated, live action, or documentary in style. Short Films which are non-English must include English Subtitles.
- Application: Musical Performance projects can be prepared and submitted by maximum three students. Solo Performance and Singer projects can be prepared and submitted by only one students.
- Application: Music applications require an artist statement, the score, and the video of the performance.
- Application: A well-produced and well-rehearsed video of music performance (for all subcategories) must be uploaded into YouTube with the title: “The Pioneer Olympiad 2016: TITLE”. The YouTube link must be provided as part of the application within Media Link.
- Application: The musical performance artist statement should be less than 500 words and should describe the connection of the composition or the performance to the environment. The artist statement should be written in English and will be read to a live audience. The statement should be saved as a PDF or Word file with file name as follows: Country_projectname_statement. The statement must be uploaded to the application site.
- Application: Your music file names must be in English characters.
- At the Fair: Short Film projects will be judged in a classroom on a large screen. You must bring your movie on a flash drive or CD. It is advised for you to bring your movie in multiple formats, such as Windows Media Player, Flv, or mp4.
- At the fair: Students are allowed to make changes and improve their projects between application and fair presentation.
- At the Fair: Read Finalist guide under rules for more information.
- At the Fair: You are highly encouraged to bring your instruments. The Pioneer will not be able to provide any instruments:
- At the Fair: The judging room will have technical capabilities to provide video and sound playback. The judging room will be open to public during judging process.
- At the Fair: You should come to the competition with pre-printed materials of your artist statement, scores, and a digital copy of your performance video.
[ART&DESIGN] | Judging Criteria
- Expression of Meaning
- Expression of Emotion
- Overall Expression
[ART&DESIGN] | Music | Judging Criteria
- Foundations: Accuracy/execution of notes, rhythm, accuracy/polish of ensemble, quality of tonal sound/timbre, fidelity to provided score (tempo, articulation, dynamics, etc.)
- Artistic: Balance, phrasing, emotional commitment/efficacy
- Relevance: Quality and clarity of the artist’s statement and its connection to the environment